Everyone wants healthy, beautiful hair! But too often people don’t have a clear idea about how the products and styling techniques they use can damage their hair. Maintaining healthy hair requires that you first learn to recognize the signs of damage so that you can make adjustments to your hair care routine.
The Six Signs of Damaged Hair
Here are some things to look for as you consider the health of your hair. If any of these six signs of hair damage are present, it’s time to consult your hair stylist about treatment options.
- Color fades rapidly after treatment.
- The hair is very matted and spongy when wet.
- It is easily broken.
- The hair feels brittle and dry when you touch it.
- Your hair is overly porous.
- You can see and feel a rough texture to the hair.
These signs of damage usually occur because of the things that you are doing to your hair, such as over-coloring or over-styling it. When the hair shaft is tired and worn down, it is more susceptible to breakage and uneven texture.
How to Fix Damaged Hair
If your hair is damaged, then you need to be proactive with your hair care treatments to avoid more problems in the future.
- Make sure that you are using hair care products that are the best types for your hair. Be selective. Salon-quality shampoo and conditioner will nourish and protect the health of your hair.
- Be careful about the styling tools and other products that you are using on your hair, to avoid anything that might cause the hair damage to get worse.
- Take advantage of salon products and treatments for deep conditioning to add nourishment and strength to your hair.
- Avoid summer sun exposure to your hair as much as possible. Make a fashion statement and protect your hair by wearing hats.
If you discover that your hair is damaged, you should talk with your hair stylist about how to improve the health of your hair.
At Hier & Haines Salon, McLean VA we provide our customers with high-quality hair treatment services personalized to fit their unique needs. Schedule your appointment to find out how we can rescue your damaged hair.