Feeling rushed this holiday season? While it can be tempting to take shortcuts, it’s not the right time to skimp on your shampoo routine. We all want hair that is healthy and shiny for holiday events and photos. It may be hard to believe, but there is a right way to shampoo your hair. Here’s what you should know:
Selecting the Right Shampoo
The key to clean and healthy hair is using the type of shampoo and conditioner that are right for your hair. Everyone’s hair is different and needs the right kind of shampoo. Luckily there are plenty of types of shampoo for your hair’s “special needs.”
Whatever the type and condition of your hair, there are products available that are formulated for your unique needs. For example, there are shampoos that volumize, moisturize, smooth for frizz control, and restructure for damage control.
Using the Right Technique
Nothing feels as good as a salon shampoo. But, you can include some pampering in your at-home shampoo routine. Try these tips for a proper technique that is relaxing and refreshing:
- When you step in the shower, rinse your hair with water for about a minute before you shampoo. Your hair should be thoroughly wet before you add shampoo. This clear rinse will start the process of cleansing and make your hair more receptive to the shampoo.
- Using the coolest setting that is comfortable for you concentrate the shampoo on your scalp and massage for at least 30 seconds. It feels great. Repeat. The first shampoo cleanses and the second gives the benefits and properties of the type of shampoo.
- Apply the appropriate type of conditioner starting at the tips and working up to the roots of your hair. If your hair is fine, concentrate on just the tips.
- For your final rinse use cool temperature water to seal the hair cuticles. The extra moisture makes it shinier.
- Once you’ve washed your hair, gently towel it to remove most of the moisture and then let it air dry.
- If you use heat to dry your hair – either for styling or to dry it quickly – use protective products on your hair first. This prevents the heat from a blow-dryer or straightener from damaging your hair.
We know, washing your hair – your shampoo routine – can feel like second nature. As tempting as it can be rush through the process, the truth is that taking the extra time to cleanse your hair properly can be worth it in the long run. If you have any additional questions, never hesitate to ask your stylist at your next appointment!
Hier & Haines Salon, McLean VA, where exceptional quality meets exceptional service!