Festive parties on the calendar, family coming into town, and late-night shopping excursions mean that the holiday season is here! During this time, women often explore Pinterest and magazines for hair, makeup, and wardrobe inspiration. We are excited to offer these holiday makeup tips to make this season just a bit easier for you.
Holiday Makeup Tips for Women of All Ages
As women get older, not only do facial features change, but the quality of their skin alters, as well. Makeup application recommendations differ depending on your age. We have provided tips for women in their 20’s, 40’s and 60’s; however, no matter your age, the skincare process is incredibly important, and never too late to start. So, be sure that you are following a proper skincare regimen prior to makeup application.
Makeup Tips for Women in Their Twenties
- Bold & Bright: This is the age to have fun with color! Make your lips pop this holiday season with a bright red or maroon lip color.
- Smoky Eyes: Holidays parties are the time for going all out. For some fresh inspiration, take a look at a Smoky Eye How-To, and complete your eyes with winged eyeliner.
- Cheekbones: Accentuate your cheekbones with bronzer. For beginners: choose a bronzer two shades darker than your skin tone, and making that infamous fish face, sweep from hairline to beneath cheekbone (about two fingers from the nose). For intermediate: apply bronzer in a #3 or E-motion, beginning at your forehead along the temple where the sun would naturally hit, sweeping beneath your cheekbone, and finishing along your jawbone. *Be sure to blend!
Makeup Tips for Women in Their Forties
- Brighten Your Eyes: Target beneath your eyes to lighten the dark circles. Three tips to decrease dark circles: 1. Get more sleep. We’re serious; especially during the holiday season, sleep is absolutely critical to not only your health but your youthful appearance. Schedule it in if you have to. 2. Apply a daily moisturizer to hydrate. 3. Makeup: Apply concealer in a triangle shape beneath your eyes, have the tip of the triangle almost touching the apple of your cheek. Using your ring finger or an eyeshadow brush, gently blend the concealer. Select a concealer that targets the color of the dark circles, i.e., if a blueish hue, use a peach-toned concealer. Finally, set with a translucent powder.
- Accentuate Brows: Don’t let your brows run wild! The best treatment for brows is one done by a professional. You can maintain them by plucking the stray hairs that grow in between professional tweezing or waxing. Sparse brows? Fill in the bare spots with a brow pencil similarly colored to your hair color. If your hair is graying, as well as your brows, don’t hesitate to consider getting rid of the gray!
- Less Is More: When it comes to foundation, it can be difficult to maintain this pithy saying. However, as women age, it’s important to bear this in mind. A common difficulty with applying foundation is that it can tend to crease in fine lines or wrinkles, rather than resulting in even coverage. Two ways to avoid this are 1. Choose a hydrating formula 2. Apply primer which fills in the imperfections, resulting in a smooth, even canvas for foundation application.
Makeup Tips for Women in Their Sixties
- Healthy Complexion: We all want a beautiful complexion! Skin tones tend to change with age, so be sure you are regularly updating your makeup, specifically your foundation and concealer, with colors that compliment your current complexion. Stick with neutrals and don’t overdo it with color.
- Frame Your Smile: Have you noticed that your lips seem thinner? With aging, the border of your lips softens and becomes less defined. The trick is to make them look plump without loading on too much color. Begin with a lip liner in a shade just a bit darker than your natural color for definition. Then fill in your lips with a lip brush or lipstick by dabbing a bit in the middle and spreading the color outward.
- Cheeks: Add color to your face with rouge, opting for a peach or rose-colored blush to brighten your face. Avoid a dark color that would accentuate any lines or wrinkles. The goal is light and bright!
Your holiday season can be enjoyable without worry about your makeup. Avoid any awkward situations this season by keeping these essentials in your purse!
Relax at the Beauty Bar before a big holiday party and receive a flawless look! Are you thinking about becoming a redhead? Find out which shade would look best on you, and Book an Appointment to bring it to life!
Hier & Haines Salon, where exceptional quality meets exceptional service!